Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Journey in Free Jazz, Day 1

I'm starting to listen to free jazz to see how it effects the way I think, live, and act.

I'm planning to do posts on each of the albums I'm using, consisting of a CD review, and personal notes about my applications for each.

The CDs I'm Using:

Free Jazz (A Collective Improvisation)- Ornette Coleman
Sound Grammar- Ornette Coleman
The Shape of Jazz to Come- Ornette Coleman
Sun Ship- John Coltrane
A Love Supreme- John Coltrane
Meditations- John Coltrane
History, Mystery- Bill Frisell (I suppose Concept Album would be a better phrase for this)
Black Saint and the Sinner Lady- Charles Mingus (again, more of a Concept Album)
*****'s Brew- Miles Davis
Between Nothingness and Eternity- Mahavishnu Orchestra


This is just a preliminary list. Some I won't listen to nearly as much as others, but it's all as I see fit...

If anybody has suggestions for CDs I should listen to our reasons to listen to the above listed CDs, please comment and let me know.

I look forward to sharing with you all how free jazz affects my life...

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=197b71a9836fd83d2b43321e0eb89849